Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cancer check-up 2013

Yes, I know it's been since February when I posted.  I'm sure no one is even reading anymore!  But for the few family and friends that do check in, I wanted to let you know that it was time for my thyroid cancer check-up this month (the full test) and it came back clear!  I'm still cancer free!!  YAHOO!!!  It's now seven years that I've been cancer free.  WONDERFUL.  It makes my heart happy! :)

Mom & Dad have been here this week (well, mom has been here since June 12 and dad showed up on Sunday) and so they were able to come to my appointment with me today and meet my doctor.  That made me happy, too. :)

I am now cleared for four years and don't have to do any in-depth testing until 2017.  I'll still have appointments with the doctor every six months, though, and I'm glad to know that I'll be keeping in touch with her.  This is a new doc that I have and so I wasn't sure what to expect in regard to how she wanted to handle testing.  It turns out that she feels very confident with the status of my bloodwork (and all other tests) over the last few years, so she decided that I didn't have to do the "normal" testing procedure that I've gone through before (diet, full body scans, bloodwork, etc.).  Instead, I was able to have an ultrasound on my neck to look for any tumors, have a couple of thyrogen injections to elevate my thyroid levels (without requiring me to stop taking my thyroid meds...MUCH easier on the body and soul!!), and then have some bloodwork done and that was it!  She felt very comfortable with doing the testing in this manner this year and said that if any of these numbers would have been elevated, then we'd revert to the "old" testing method.  All of my numbers were good, though, and I've been cleared again!  YAHOO!  :) 

This doc will continue to monitor my bloodwork, along with doing regular ultrasounds on my neck, so I really do trust her methods of doing things.  I just feel SO relieved that everything came out okay! :)

As far as this blog goes...I've been debating about quitting (which is obvious by my lack of posting).  Now that I'm actually writing another post, though, I'm tempted to keep going with it!  Ha! :)  So, we'll see how it goes.  Don't hold your expectations too high for seeing regular posts from me, but maybe I'll put up a post now and again. :)  Hope you're doing well wherever you're at!! :)

11 comments:

Mo said...

YAHOO!!!!!!! WHAT FABULOUS NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing the update on your cancer check-up!! It makes my heart happy to read it! :)

AND!! It makes me happy to see a blog update and your new blog background :) I used to depend on the ol' woodtick to prompt you to update, but I don't think that works anymore ;) I miss your blog, so if you feel inclined to update again, know that you still have some faithful followers :)

Lani said...

Happy, happy news! :)

Raymond and Joyce said...

Good to hear your news. Please don't quit your blog. We aren't on face book so enjoy looking for updates on you. Maybe you will update more if you know Raymond and I check on you.

Leilani said...

Hooray!!!

Aunt Barbara said...

Hi Jen, Soooo "HAPPY" to hear you're doing so good with your cancer deal. Hope you keep bloging once in a while as I don't do face book. So this is the way I can keep up with you once in a while. So keep up with the blogs. Love Ya Aunt Barbara

Hilary said...

Hooray & hooray! So very glad!!

grmasusie said...

I check your blog regularly! Glad for your good checkup news!

hi-d said...

Yay! Glad for a clear checkup for you! And I'm glad for a new post from Laramie-Jen-land :)

{k} said...

aww, great news!! (sorry I am way late in responding to it!)

{k} said...

Your comments always are a ray of sunshine in my day...thank you for taking the time to spread positivity in your wonderful way! Hope all is going well for you!

Jen said...

Well, thank you, Kristin! That is very sweet of you to say that! :)